St. Germain’s Chapter was founded in 1872 but erased in 1879. On April 24th, 1900, the Salebeia Chapter of Royal Arch Masons was consecrated, and it celebrated its Jubilee in 1956.
In October, 1905, it became necessary to find new Lodge premises. Then the property on Church Hill which was a Temperance Hotel called Knotts Hotel was bought. The last meeting to be held in the old Lodge room, which was situated in the Crescent, was held on April 6th, 1906, and meetings were then held at the Londesborough Arms Hotel until the consecration of the new Lodge by Lord Bolton, Past G. W. England, R. W. Deputy Provincial G. M. Yorkshire North and East Ridings, on the 11th October, 1906.
Five years later, Wor. Bro. Miles J. Stapylton was appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master in succession to Wor. Bro. Lord Bolton, and in December of the same year he paid his first visit to the Lodge in that capacity to unveil a portrait of Lord Bolton. This portrait was later presented to the Lord Bolton Lodge, Hull, to replace their own which had been destroyed by enemy action during the 1989-45 war.
Wor. Bro. Mark Scott attained his Jubilee as a Mason, and received the congratulations of the brethren, in December, 1915 and at the Lodge meeting in the following January was unanimously elected W.M. Prior to the Installation Ceremony on February 11th, he unveiled a bronze tablet in Selby Abbey on which is recorded the restoration, by the Freemasons of Yorkshire, of the North Transept of the Abbey after the fire of 1906.
In July, 1918, permission was granted by Provincial and Grand Lodges for vocal music to be sung in the Lodge.
During the first World War (1914-18) many of the younger brethren served in His Majesty’s Forces, and the attendance at Lodge was necessarily depleted. After the war, however, the number of members increased so much that it was decided in May, 1921, to lease the adjoining premises for the extension and alteration of the Lodge. The money required, £350, was obtained on loan from the brethren. The property was eventually bought in 1933.
The meeting of the Humber Installed Masters’ Lodge, Hull, No. 2494, at Selby on June 21st, 1923, gave the brethren of St. Germain the opportunity of entertaining them after a visit to Cawood Castle.